J Albright & Associates
2710 Windemere Lane Erie, Colorado
SHIMS TOP 200 MODIFICATIONS
The following SHIMS modifications have been developed over the past several years.
We continually update this list with new modifications to try to
present the ones with the most universal interest. Please call us if you would
like more information or a price quote on any of these
The latest additions to this list as of 06/05/2017 are highlighted by
- 1) Integration of Now Docs (RxLaser) forms for invoices, statements, checks and bids. This allows usage of plain paper to print forms with logos, watermarks, double-sided and laser quality printing. A great savings over custom multi-part forms.
- 2) Removal of the header information on secondary pages of all forms including pick tickets, invoices, transfers, bids and purchase orders. This allows almost double the number of products per page.
- 3) Automated purging of files at month end based on specified schedule. For example, Old-Invoices in June & December, Inventory-History every month, etc.
- 4) Master password for flat SHIMS menus. Both the menu line
password and the master password will access the program.
- 5) Utility program to upload any "columnar report" to Excel on
your PC using the FT function in Accuterm.
- 6) Save
Your TCL Stack on Networks from one login to the next:
This small mod will capture your TCL stack when you logoff and
re-load it when you log back on. Since
the stacks are normally saved by port#, they are lost between logins for
network users; since you don't get the same port# each time. ($50).
- 7) EDI interface for any SHIMS release using York Worldwide. Most all
EDI transactions available. More flexible for customization than the standard
SHIMS formats. Custom logic for the 820 remittance advice for Affiliated
Distributors Buying Group.
- 8) Export of selected or all EOM A/R and
A/P reports to the PC in text format. Reports can be sent to a network drive
or single PC drive. Columnar reports can be opened in Excel.
- 9) Un-attended EDI. A unix 'cron' process is set up to automatically
run the EDI send and receive processes. Standard setup is every hour from 6am to
6pm, Monday through Saturday.
- 10) Remove Unix Files with "/".
This mod renames the unix files; but leaves all SHIMS file names unchanged.
Files like A/R become AR.FILE in unix with links to the A/R file. The makes
all restores and other operations on these files much easier. A key mod if
using a non-INFOR backup system.
- 11) Any SHIMS report can be setup to
export to the PC in addition to a print option. Columnar reports can be
opened in Excel. It can be configured with an option to use either Invue or Accuterm.
- 12) Accuterm Report Viewer. The current
report viewer in SHIMS requires Invue. Accuterm will open the report in Note Pad. Windows XP, 7 or 8.
- 13) Send DQ Fax Results via E-Mail
instead of to the DQ desqtop. The fax results will be e-mailed to the faxer
instead of sent to his DQ desqtop.
- 14) Sales and Cost G/Ls down to the
Product Line or Product Level. Standard SHIMS allows for sales tracking
down to the customer level only. This was a Trend G/L feature.
- 15) Large Numbers. This mod allows
for the entry and display of net and cost prices up to 999,999.999 in all
display screens, forms and reports. Current SHIMS only allows up to 99,999.999
in all programs.
- 16) 1MAGE Document Processing Interface
to SHIMS. This is a major interface mod for cold processing and scanning
of images with retrieval as pdf documents. Call for details on this SHIMS
- 17) Label Generation on Zebra or Tally
Printers. These labels can contains barcodes and graphics for mailing,
shipping and bins. Labels available in many sizes.
- 18) Limit Number of Sessions. This
mod sets up the number of SHIMS sessions allowed per user to prevent
maxing out of Universe licenses.
- 19) Reports can be printed in landscape
mode on laser printers. This allows for a larger font than in condensed
mode; but only 40 lines/page instead of 60.
- 20) Run the goodnight on a unix cron
process every night.
- 21) Internet Faxing using
www.esker.com. All faxing will be sent
through Esker, the worldwide leader in fax processing. SHIMS interface
remains unchanged to the user. Replaces all SHIMS faxing for standard and
custom form faxing. Monolith's Desqtop annual fees and landline
phone modems are no longer required.
Interface to LBMX EDI van for all EDI
processes. Ties into all SHIMS EDI programs.
Sales & Customer Related Modifications
- 1) Automated faxing or
E-Mailing of customer invoices and/or statements. Faxes use Desqtop or Esker and
E-mails use the unix 'sendmail' function. Associated reports.
- 2) Automatic product specific standing comments. If the product is flagged in Product File maintenance with a specific comment, that comment will always follow the product on a pick ticket and invoice.
- 3) Bring Bid Job# into Order File and print on orders.
- 4) Custom messages for invoices and/or statements. Messages can be setup by customer class, territory, branch or ??. Customers will get a message directed to their type of business.
- 5) Customer Purchased Products Report. Selected Date range and
selected ship-tos. Summary or detail version.
- 6) Allow
entry of a kit master as a component of another kit: When a kit master is
entered as one of the components of another kit, the components are exploded
into the kit master record and quantities can be entered for each component.
- 7) Modification to the Overrides Maintenance to show the actual basis prices in the basis window, instead of just the basis descriptions.
- 8) Automated A/R posting of cash receipts from a bank data transmission. This is for companies that have all A/R payments sent directly to a bank lock box. Cash application is made if the payment is within tolerances. Exception reports are also provided.
- 9) Tracking of deleted orders with deleter, date and reason with
- 10) Shipto-Sales-History in the same format as the Customer Sales History
(CUS-SLS-HIST). This now provides data to the missing fields in the A/R Inquiry when inquiring for a particular ship-to. A 24 month inquiry program is also available..
- 11) Faxing or Adobe PDF E-Mailing of multiple invoices using
or 'sendmail' directly from the A/R Inquiry detail screen. A pop-up window
provided for entry.
- 12) Faxing or e-mailing of Sales Orders Acknowledgements directly from Sales Entry.
Faxes go through the Desqtop system and e-mails are sent from unix sendmail.
- 13) Variable Minimum GP% by
- 14) RGA program will allow checking any
Inventory-Hist to find the original invoice and product price. Currently
SHIMS only scrolls the IH for the branch entered in the RGA.
- 15) Extended descriptions pop-up windows in Sales Entry.
- 16) Entry of comment lines into the Customer Overrides file.
- 17) Import of a Statement or Old Invoice in text file format from
SHIMS into a PC folder using Accuterm. Statement
or Old Invoice can then be archived, PC faxed or e-mailed. .
- 18) Improved sorting of products on the sales
order by bin location for faster picking. Keeps comments with the
product. Standard SHIMS version does not.
- 19) Flat rate service charge amount
if the calculated s/c amount is below a selected minimum amount.
- 20) Convert the DQ alert messages
to e-mails. Requires Unix 'sendmail' to be operational on your system.
- 21) Added a pop-up window when converting a Catalog file item to the Product File.
Allows entry of an alt-1, alt-2, UPC, product line, product group and per.
- 22) Update of the Demand History and Product Sales History for products on
direct orders that are normally stocked items. Excludes NS, BT and T items.
- 23) Sales order entry of requested
delivery time for 'Our Truck" orders. Prints on pick ticket. Tracking
reports of on-time and late deliveries also available.
- 24) Reprint of any customer statement from the past 12 months. The A/R file
is captured at EOM which allows reprinting the exact statements.
- 25) Revise pricing hierarchy to move class
overrides to AFTER the customer overrides instead of after the Specials. This
is more logical.
- 26) Customer File Update Tracking. This
mod captures the changes for up to 20 Customer file fields and tracks the
change date, auth-code of the person who made the change and the previous
value. All previous change transactions can be viewed in the inquiry.
- 27) Four utility programs to manage the
overrides & rebates files. a) Deletes rebates by quote#, b) Delete
overrides/rebates for deleted products, c) Deletes overrides/rebates by
product group, and d) Deletes overrides/rebates by product line.
- 28) Option to change the vendor on a
DO/DI order after products have been added to the order.
- 29) Enhances the Serial# search program
to allow for partial serial#s.
- 30) Enhanced Warranty logic. Allows
assigning of warranty products to a product. Auto pop-up windows when
that product appears on a bid or order to indicate the warranties that are
available and the costs. Auto-adds to the bid or order if selected.
- 31) Allow entry of one, multiple or [ALL]
groups for the Group Overrides Listing. Same for Product Overrides
Listing. Standard SHIMS prints the entire group or product overrides.
- 32) Option for a Ship-To# entry in Old Invoices Inquiry to further fine tune
a selection by customer.
- 33) Direct e-mail from SHIMS for any
customer form in Adobe pdf format. Bids, sales orders, invoices, price books or statements.
- 34) Added a rolling 12 months of Sales$,
GP$ and GP% to the A/R Inquiry screen. Current options are MTD and YTD.
- 35) Added an indexed scroll window to the
sales entry and old invoices screen to access an order or invoice by customer p/o#. Any new indexed
scroll can be created.
- 36) Temporary customer Credit
Limits with expiration date
- 37) Open orders purge and report.
Allow purging old open orders by entry date. .
- 38) 7 Digit Invoice Numbers. This allows
the invoice numbers to use 7 digits instead of the current 6. This may
be necessary for any company sending 810 invoices EDI. .
- 39) AR Ledger Print Option. This adds a
date range option to the A/R Ledger print option and an option to import the
report to the PC using Invue or Accuterm.
- 40) Copy Products to Overrides from Sales
Entry. This is the same type of mod as currently exists in Bid Entry to
allow copying the pricing on a sales order to the Overrides file.
- 41) Interface to the "Net Pricer"
system to import vendor pricing to SHIMS.
- 42) Interface to the Emerson, White
Rogers, '1st Choice
- 43) Interface and automated file build
for the GE lighting rebates.
- 44) E-Mail of goodnight reports or EOM reports to
selected list of recipients.
- 45) Variable service charge months by
- 46) 12 month rolling spreadsheet of
customer service charges.
- 47) Summary report of Product Line Sales
by selected salesman.
- 48) Group faxing or group e-mailing from
a get list of customers or vendors.
- 49) Deposit Ticket printing. Adds
an option to re-print a ticket and also print all back-ordered products on the
- 50) Change the payment weighting logic to
use only the last 3 years. Very important if you keep more than 3 years
of AR-Ledger records, otherwise it uses all history on-file.
- 51) Interface to Billtrust for external processing of invoices and statements. They can
print, fax or e-mail per your specifications. Bullpenning and other features
- 52) Interface to the Virtual Rain EDI
van. Preferred for some vendors.
- 53) New option from the AR-Ledger control
line to directly jump to the Old Invoices Inquiry
- 54) Adds the printing of the TERMS on all
invoices. Currently, the terms only list if the discount amount is
greater than zero. Printed, faxed and e-mailed invoices.
- 55) New option from Old Invoices Inquiry
control line to directly jump to the Individual Item Inquiry.
- 56) Laser printed Pick Tickets or branch transfers using
multiple drawers to print 3 copies on different colored paper.
- 57) Extended price column on Pick
- 58) Manual entry of order and p/o numbers
in local procurement instead of system assigned next numbers.
- 59) Nightly e-mailed backorder
report of all items backordered when required date is less than 10 days.
- 60) Manager's Below 15% Gross Margin
report e-mailed each day for previous day's invoices
- 61) COD Collection Amount Add-on.
Adds on a fixed percentage of overdue balance to COD orders.
- 62) Utility to copy one override/rebate
record to a get-list of customers. Matching overrides will be updated, new
overrides added and existing overrides will remain..
- 63) Several new Pline and Sline sales
reports in various formats.
- 64) Affiliated Distributors AD Rewards
Excel report creator from New-Invoices file.
- 65) E-Mail Affiliated Distributor vendors
the monthly remittance advice.
- 66) Automatic substitute products if
requested product is flagged as discontinued.
- 67) Auto-invoicing of Sales Orders.
Unix cron process converts the mode "O" to "I" in an
overnight process based on your criteria. An exception report is also
- 68) A year-to-year comparison report of Pline or Sline sales with Jan-Dec sales listed. with Sales, GP$ and GP%. Any 2
years of the past 5 years can be compared.
- 69) Added logic to the Alert messages from
Stock Receipts and Backorder release to list the actual products received
instead of just the order numbers.
Option in Sales Entry to flag all products as exceptional sales after
the entry with one command instead of individually flagging each product.
If a product is on an order multiple times, it will only count as 1 hit.
- 72) Added the extended
descriptions and the keywords into the Alternate Access Description scroll
- 73) Print the original
invoice# and the invoice line# for each returned product on the "RI" invoices.
74) Allow the same product on multiple sales
order lines to be tagged to the same p/o without consolidation.
- 75) Option added to "Override Flagged Demands" to select by purchasing
line or [ALL] lines.
- 76) Daily manual
overrides report printed or e-mailed.
Expiring Overrides report based on an entered cut-off date with all pertinent
- 78) Added a Q[nnnnnn] option to the
control line on screen 1 of sales entry to bring up the sales order associated
with Bid #nnnnnn.
- 79) Report of
"Customers with NO sales in specific product lines" Date range and PLINE
- 80) Old Invoices option to enter a
customer# and a specific ship-to# to get the list of invoices.
- 81) Ship-Via Report by selected date range and branch. Includes
Branch date, ship-via code, sales$, GP$ and GP%. Printed or exported to
- 82) Old Invoices reprint option for
SHIMS users that use the same # for the sales order and invoice. Option to
select the old invoice reprint by the backorder#.
Display the available in sales entry for each product on each line,
similar to bid entry. Eliminates necessity of doing an inquiry.
- 84) Enhanced logic to restrict writers from
changing prices on selected products or selected Slines instead of all or none.
85) (NEW) Utility program to update overrides and
rebates from an Excel sheet.
86) (NEW) Option in the Invoice Reprinting to print
the header as 'INVOICE' or 'INVOICE REPRINT"
87) (NEW) AR-Ledger Search by Sales Order#. Adds an
option to find all ledger activity for a specific sales order#.
88) (NEW) Deposit Inquiry screen. The allows a user
who is NOT authorized to enter deposits to open the deposits window to see the
deposits for a sales order.
89) (NEW) Revised the customer statements to add a
Customer P/O# column in place of the WH and Discount columns.
90) (NEW) Overrides Maintenance Using Excel.
The Overrides for a specific customer or customers is exported to Excel, then
updated and then imported back into SHIMS.
91) (NEW) Allows the generation and printing of
zero-balance checks to clear off-setting A/R with a paper trail.
92) (NEW) Order scroll options by Writer and
Salesman in addition to the standard scroll only by customer.
93) (NEW) Allows a date range entry when
printing the AR-Ledger and AP-Ledger records.
94) (NEW) Zip code lookup in Sales Entry to validate
the sales tax rate used when sales tax varies by zip code.
95) (NEW) Option to reprint a selected backorder #
in the Old Invoices Reprint for SHIMS companies that use the same number for
orders and invoices.
- 1) Purge bids from BID file to an archive file.
Bid Inquiry on archive file. Option to restore from archive file back to
bid file. Purge program on the archive file.
- 2) Allow a negative quantity entry in Bid Entry and the option to turn
this bid into an "RO" sales order.
3) Extended descriptions pop-up windows in Bid Entry.
4) Option to create a Bid from an Order or Old-Invoice record with updated
5) Added an additional option to the
"Copy Bid lines to Overrides" to copy by a range of line items
instead of [ALL].
6) Import of a Bid in text file format from
SHIMS into a PC folder using Accuterm. The Bid can then be archived, PC faxed or e-mailed.
Option in Bid Entry to flag all products as exceptional sales after
the entry with one command instead of individually flagging each product.
8) Allows changing the branch on an
existing bid .
9) Calculation of estimated tax on bids. Display on screen and on printed
bid, faxed bid and e-mailed and imported if applicable.
10) (NEW) Option to add a freight
charge to a bid. Freight line then displays on all
printed, faxed and e-mailed bids.
- 11) (NEW) Reset the formula from
a $ override to a Cxnnn override when moving bid product pricing
- 12) (NEW) Allow a quick entry of
Alt-Code,Qty on a bid product entry and auto-fill the remainder
of the line.
- 13) (NEW) New report of all
orders created from a specific bid.
Purchasing & Vendor
- 1) Option to change a vendor# &/or Branch on an existing purchase order record.
- 2) Option to slave print a p/o or old p/o to the default PC printer.
- 3) Integration of the Check Fraud/Positive
Pay program. This program is now available through several banks including
Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase, Amsouth and many others. The data transfer has been automated
to build a file during the A/P check process and upload them to the PC.
The bank supplied software sends the files to the bank.
- 4) Automated Vendor Pricing Updates. Can replace or supplement Trade Service for electrical, plumbing and industrial distributors.
Processes Excel files from the vendors.
- 5) Manual Check Pack: (a) Added the tracking of manual checks to existing vendors to the A/P Ledger file. Entries are posted to the "Manual Checks" and to the actual
vendor and (b) Added entry of advice lines that appear on the A/P ledger
- 6) Vendor Notes screen similar to the Customer Notes. Accessible from
Vendor Maintenance and Vendor Inquiry. Print option also.
- 7) Purchase Order & Direct Order FAX Follow-up forms to be sent to the
vendors. Printed or faxed by Desqtop.
- 8) Access to the TS Catalog file in Purchase Order Entry.
- 9) Utility to transfer the Trade Service
data from CD or from the internet into SHIMS for processing. Uses Invue or
- 10) Ability to view Old P/Os from the AP-Ledger Inquiry.
- 11) Vendor "Tickler Notes" like the customer "A/R
- 12) Multiple advice lines in A/P entry. Option to print the lines on the
- 13) Additional screen from Vendor Maintenance for the Sales Rep's
information. Displays on all p/os and related screens. .
- 14) Additional screen in Vendor Maintenance to list the product lines that
are allowed to be purchased from this vendor.
- 15) Payment of A/P invoices by credit
card. This allows the paying of invoices by credit card with the
confirmation# being used as the check# for AP-Ledger inquiry purposes.
- 16) Control line activated pop-up window
listing the extended descriptions for a product line item by XDn where n is
the line number.
- 17) Import of a P/O or Direct Order P/O in text file format
from SHIMS into a PC folder using Invue or Accuterm. P/O can
then be archived, PC faxed or e-mailed.
- 18) Print 1099 MISC IRS forms: This mod includes a report and print program
for the 2006 1099 MISC forms to a laser printer. Vendors are flagged for
printing in Vendor-Ma and only printed if last year’s purchases exceed $600.
- 19) Tagged Products Pack: (a) Added a "tags" window in
Old P/O Inquiry to show who the product was originally tagged for, (b) Option
to print pick tickets for orders with tags at receiving branch and (c) A pass
through of serial #s from stock receipts to the order record
- 20) Sort non-central p/os by bin location
on the receiving copy and print the bin locations on the form.
- 21) Tracking of vendor purchases by
branch with inquiry programs. Currently the MTD-PURCH and YTD-PURCH include
- 22) Wit-Net Processing. For Wit Buying
Group members, this module is a pseudo-EDI process with no van
charges. Automatically brings in the A/P invoice and prints a copy of
the invoice. Handles 810, 820 and 845 transactions.
This has been converted to LBMX. See #36 below.
- 23) 3 Part Laser Checks. 2 stubs and a
check. No need for a duplicate copy. One stub for office and one stub for
- 24) Purchasing Parameters
Export/Import. Export 20 key parameters to Excel, revise them and import
back into SHIMS.
- 25) Automated check reconciliation if
your bank can supply the information in an electronic data file.
- 26) Direct e-mail from SHIMS for any
vendor form in Adobe pdf format. Purchase orders, Old-P/Os or Direct
- 27) ICP Claimback and ICP WYWOW/AIM
electronic 'ftp' file transfer programs.
- 28) Option to Old-P/O inquiry to view multiple p/os from the same vendor without
have to re-enter the vendor# each time.
- 29) Option to enter Check Advice lines with an "i" prefix which will NOT print on
the checks; but will be retained in the CD.HIST file.
Option to NOT consolidate the products on the vendor copy of the
p/o for selected vendors.
- 31) Added bin
locations to the p/o receiving copy.
Automated ftp process to retrieve BLUEHAWK invoices from LBMX and load to
EDI.AP.HOLD. Eliminates all manual entry of the AP invoices.
(NEW) Option to create 1 P/O to 1 vendor for all backordered items on a
sales order. Also an option to manually set the P/O#.
(NEW) Logic to consolidate a central purchased p/o products for outbound
850 EDI transactions. Vendors do not want the same product on multiple
lines on the p/o.
- 35) (NEW) ACH check processing.
A/P records are flagged in A/P entry and processed in a separate check run.
Pseudo check numbers are assigned for AP-Ledger reference.
(NEW) Convert the inbound 810, 820 & 845 Wit Buying Group transactions to
LBMX and process through normal SHIMS EDI programs.
Inventory & Transfer Related Modifications
- 1) Re-sequencing of selected products in
Inventory-History by date after the product merge utility has been run.
- 2) A utility program for deleting products from a get-list. It follows the same rules as a deletion in product file maintenance.
- 3) Flag to set a product to be always non-taxable, regardless of customer's
- 4) Sorting of products on the transfers
by product bin location for faster picking. Bin Location Printing on transfer
- 5) Transfer Hits compilation (ship and receive) in the same manner as sales
- 6) Branch Transfer Options: (a) A 'RECEIVE ALL' option for Branch Transfers. This option used to exist;
but was removed and (b) 2-Step Transfer Process. [O]rdering and [R]eceiving. The R mode will do
the ship and receive processing in one step.
- 7) Added an additional 5 product alternate codes. Alt-6 through Alt-10.
Entered in a pop-up window from Product File Maintenance.
- 8) Option to sort the Adjustment History report by Product Line.
- 9) Added back the option in Inventory-History-Inquiry to enter a
"\" to stop the search for products sold to a particular customer or
products purchased from a particular vendor. Normally, you must wait until the
display reaches the bottom.
- 10) G/L Posting of sales by product line
or product in addition to the posting by customer. Previously only available
if using the Trend G/L option which is no longer available.
- 11) Added a pop-up window in Product File
maintenance to allow adding an additional 5 KEYWORDS per product.
- 12) General Ledger Posting at the
end-of-month of the Product Adjustments. Summary posting reports are
also printed at EOM. All reason codes are assigned an off-setting
G/L#. Standard SHIMS does NOT do this unless you are using the GLI
interface to the Trend G/L.
- 13) Product File Update Tracking. This
mod captures the changes for up to 20 Product file fields and tracks the
change date, auth-code of the person who made the change and the previous
value. All previous change transactions can be viewed in the inquiry.
- 14) Option of Physical Inventory Report
to only print the lines where the count and on-hand are different or exceed a
- 15) Added the [I]nvty-Inq option at the
product quantity prompt in Branch Transfer entry as is available in Sales and Bid entry.
- 16) Adjustment History Purge
program. Standard SHIMS has no purge program for this file. Added to
- 17) Tracking of deleted transfers with
associated inquiry and purge program.
- 18) Put-away document for stock receipts
or branch transfers sorted by bin location printed after the stock receipt or
- 19) Adds a 'picker' entry field to branch
- 20) Added a pop-up window from
Product File Maintenance to add up to 5 more product substitutes.
- 21) Inventory Aging Report. This
will report on the age of all products by line for a 10 year period based on
- 22) Adjustments History Mod Pack. a)
Purge ADJ-HIST by date, b) Option for "O"ther Reason code for custom
reason entry and c) Adjustment History Summary reports by dollars and date
- 23) Web-site link direct from SHIMS using
Accuterm. Great for vendor spec sheets. URL links are available from many
- 24) Utility program to convert existing
products into kits. Updates all files and history ledgers.
- 25) Option to NOT print the zero balance
lines on the balance sheet and operating statements.
- 26) Option in Inventory History Inquiry to display in a window, all of
the adjustments that are in the same record with all related information.
- 27) Inventory History option to view sales in ALL
branches on one screen instead of checking each branch one by one.
Set up exportable to Excel versions of the
Physical Inventory Reports for option 1 and 3.
Inventory report by vendor. This report is often requested by
- 30) Import Inventory Adjustments from an Excel Sheet. Adjustment
information can be entered in Excel and then this sheet can be processed
- 31) (NEW) Added Product Notes in the
same format as customer Sales Notes. Notes are set up in Product File
Maintenance and can be printed with pick tickets and bids.
Release 16 and Older Updates
- 1) Old PO file tracking and inquiry for pre-Release 17 versions of SHIMS.
- 2) A forward and back option in the Inventory History Inquiry for
pre-Release 17 versions of SHIMS.
- 3) Old Transfer History module for
pre-Release 17 SHIMS systems.